I had a go at the Hummingbird Bakery recipe for hazelnut and chocolate cupcakes for Easter Sunday today and I’m so happy how they turned out!
I changed the decoration to make it a bit more Easter-y (and added a bit more Nutella…because Nutella) but apart from that the recipe is extremely easy to follow!
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter at room temperature
120ml full fat milk
1 free range egg
36 whole shelled hazelnuts for decoration
Hazelnut and chocolate frosting
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter at room temperature
25ml full fat milk
- Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with paper cases. And preheat oven to 170C
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and mix with the butter (using freestanding electric or hand held electric mixer) on slow speed until everything is combined (sandy consistency)
- Slowly pour in the milk, beating well until all ingredients are well mixed. Add the egg and beat well
- Spoon the mix into the paper cases (two thirds full) and bake for approx 20min or until sponge bounces back when touched. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before transferring to wire rack
- When cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one and fill with a dollop of Nutella
- To make the frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter together. Once combined, on a low speed, add the milk and turn speed up once fully incorporated. Continue to beat until light and fluffy (at least 5 min)
- Stir in the Nutella by hand until evenly mixed in. Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes and decorate with hazelnuts.
The finished product!!
Thank-you for reading! Check out my other Easter cupcakes here!